Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Yvonn joins Honor Societies!


My name is Yvonn Myren, and I am a 20-year-old international student from Norway. This is my second (and last) year at SBCC, and this semester I decided to get more involved on campus!


Enjoying the sunshine at our stadium!
First, I received an email from Phi Theta Kappa (PTK), which is the national Honor Society, and I decided to join. This is an honors society for students with academic good standing. You pay a one-time fee of $100, and you’re set for life! By being a member of PTK you get access to different benefits, such as scholarships to transfer to a four-year university. You also get access to their merchandise, which is a cool memory to bring home after graduating.

The second honor society I joined was the Communication Honor Society, called Sigma Chi Eta. That is a honor society specifically for my major: Communication. By joining them, I am able to meet like-minded students with the same interests as me. On our meetings we talk about different educational paths you can take as a Com major. We discuss career opportunities, and we are currently planning a charity event to help the community. Within Sigma Chi Eta you can also apply for different roles, such as President, Vice-President and Commissioner for different departments, like events or marketing.

Why should you join a honor society? This will not only be a fun and social activity, but it will

also be a learning experience. You will gain knowledge about leadership, charity work, and social events. It is a way to turn the skills you have already learned in school into practical work, while at the same time meeting new friends. You will be able to say that you made a difference in the community, and used your passion for the better. It is also a great opportunity to improve your resume if you are planning on transferring to a four-year university.


Find out if your major has its own honor society or join Phi Theta Kappa. Get involved today!



Spending the holidays abroad!

I used to feel homesick when I’d be traveling for two weeks, now I’ve been away from home for almost a year and I’m spending holidays away f...