Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Why does the food pantry exist?


College has different meanings for everyone. I want to share my experience at SBCC here today. Many people don't know who I am, but you must know the international office and food pantry on campus. Someone will ask what does this have to do with my college life? I actually work in these two departments. It also has a close connection to my major. As a Sociology student, this is what makes it easier for me to understand the fun of this profession. All of my friends know that I am a kind person. I like to chat with others. I like to help others relieve stress, as we all have a variety of pressures in our college life. Everyone needs someone to help them relieve stress. At SBCC, you will find that many people in this campus are caring for you silently. As I mentioned, we have a food pantry.
At the food pantry, we have staff meetings. The picture on the left is our staff meeting at the start of Fall 2018. In that meeting, we told people how our department  is doing. As an international student, I know how important money is to college students and having free food for them can help them save their money to buy textbooks or school supplies. The availability of free food can change how successful a student becomes. Many students don't understand why we have such a department, but I hope students learn more about it now that I am writing about it. The food pantry is an example of how the school cares and provides support for each student. We all know that the price of Santa Barbara is quite high. So the school uses such a resource to indirectly help us to better fulfill our college dreams. My experience at SBCC is just a microcosm of most international students. Now, I am going to transfer to a four-year university. SBCC has also become the starting point for my dream in the United States. This is just like the old saying in China: "There are always stories in the beautiful places."



No comments:

Post a Comment

Spending the holidays abroad!

I used to feel homesick when I’d be traveling for two weeks, now I’ve been away from home for almost a year and I’m spending holidays away f...