Thursday, May 9, 2019

Reflections On My Time at SBCC (Lise Andersson)


In January 2017, I packed up my belongings and moved across the world. I had been wanting to do this for so long. It felt like it was never going to happen, but I stayed determined and the next thing I knew, I was was settling into my new home in Santa Barbara.


I am now finishing up my last semester at Santa Barbara City College. If I were to summarize it all, I would say that it’s been a crazy, but amazing ride. I honestly can’t imagine what I would be like, and what I would be doing right now if I never moved here.


I have taken about 24 classes since starting my first semester at
SBCC. Classes ranging from Criminology, to Graphic Design, to Astronomy, to Anthropology, to Public Speaking, to Political Science, and the list goes on. I think that one of the main differences between colleges in Sweden (where I’m from) and the U.S., is that in the U.S. you have to take classes to fulfill GE (general education) requirements, which are classes such as math, English, science, and so forth. All students are obligated to take these classes in order to graduate with an Associate’s degree.


I have learned and changed immensely since I entered my first semester. In all honesty, I didn’t have a clue of what exactly I wanted to study, and I changed my major three times. I went from Psychology, to Graphic Design, to Communication which is what I ended up sticking with. Although I sometimes wish I knew from the beginning what I wanted to study, I’m also incredibly happy that I did change my mind a few  times. It allowed me to take classes I otherwise wouldn’t and some of them ended up being my favorite classes ever. Studying at SBCC granted me the chance to really figure out what I’m interested in and what I want to get out of my education. Fast forward two and a half years later, I have gained so much knowledge and grown as an individual. I finally have a goal in mind that I’m passionate about and determined to reach.



I’m so thankful for all the opportunities that I’ve had at SBCC. I got a job at Starbucks in the campus bookstore my second semester and I have since then made an endless amounts of lattes and frappuccinos. I joined a non-profit organization called The American Scandinavian Foundation of Santa Barbara as an intern and helped them with their marketing and graphic design. I became the Vice President of SBCC Graphic Design Club, and I worked as a Teacher Assistant in a Graphic Design class. With this being said, I encourage all international students to be open-minded to all the opportunities that we are given; join clubs, get an internship, become a SBCC Ambassador, or work on campus. These experiences truly helped me immerse myself in the culture and make a web of friends in a place I didn’t know anyone at first.


So was it worth it? - 110% yes! I will forever be grateful for my experiences at SBCC. I’m graduating on Friday and it is without a doubt the best decision I’ve ever made. I’m so happy that I made this happen for myself. To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spending the holidays abroad!

I used to feel homesick when I’d be traveling for two weeks, now I’ve been away from home for almost a year and I’m spending holidays away f...