Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Workshops (Astrid Sidibe)

Workshops

I am one of those student who really enjoy to grow and learn more. When I found out that the school had free workshops to go to every Thursday I knew that I was going to attend. I have been to two workshops so far and they were really good in different ways. The first I went to was “Note Taking Strategies” which was really rewarding. It gave me a lot of new tools to work with, such as the “Cornell Method”, so I can take notes more efficiently. I actually started to use the techniques right after the workshop and it helped me to learn new material, so I can own what I am being thought. The second workshop was with Natalie D-Napoleon and it was a lot of fun. It was called “Song Lyrics 101” and we learned the structure of music to better understand how to write song lyrics. We also got to rewrite song lyrics to songs that already exists, such as “Yesterday” with The Beatles, and we also developed an understanding to rhythm and rhyme. It actually reminded me a lot of poetry. I had a lot of fun and it really helped me in the process of getting going with my own songwriting.


The Well
The Well is a place for all kinds of people who likes wellness in all its shapes and forms. It is where students and staff comes together for healing and growth. It is located on campus in the ECC building and they have many different workshops during the semester. Last week I went to a workshop called “stress reduction through mindfulness practice” and I had a great time. Barbara Rose Sherman had the workshop with us and she was AMAZING. She went through many variations of meditations such as sitting meditation, eating meditation, walking meditation and one where we ended up lying on the floor. I felt so good after that experience that I took her advice to start meditate for 5 minutes a day and see how it could improve my life. It is amazing and it actually feels as if my mind is more balanced than what it was before I started. So I challenge you to try to meditate for 5 minutes a day for a week and see if you feel any difference.


Hiking
Enough about workshops. Santa Barbara is a place that has a lot to offer, especially if you like the outdoors which is something I love. A few days ago I went hiking with my hubby. We decided to go on a trail called Inspiration Point. It was a beautiful hike on the most beautiful day. We were out there for hours. The hike to the top only took about one hour but we stayed up there and enjoyed the view for a really long time. The nature here is breathtaking. I really felt inspired up there looking at the magical view with all the hawks that flew by. I guess that they were looking for food or just enjoying the day like we were. Well I am going back there someday but first I would like to explore the other hikes that I have heard a lot about.

Acting for the camera
Before I check out I would like to share that I might have found a new calling in life. I have never been very interested in acting before but after I started this class I feel as if I found a way to get in touch with more of myself. It is so cool! During class we get to explore our inner life and bring out whatever is inside. Last time we got to laugh, cry and be angry on command. I had a blast! The theory behind acting is very relatable to mindfulness and as you probably already know I am all into that. I have come to understand that acting is all about being in the now and reacting to you partner/situation as you, inside your role, within a constructed world. I do not know about you but that is great fun for me and our teacher Matt is truly the best. He is so engaged in what he is doing and I get so inspired every class. It is like I get pulled in by his presence. He is very talented, it is like going to a show every class and also being a part of it. If you ever get the chance to take this class I think you should do it!


I will write soon again! Have a great time until then, I know I will!  


Best regards, Astrid.S

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spending the holidays abroad!

I used to feel homesick when I’d be traveling for two weeks, now I’ve been away from home for almost a year and I’m spending holidays away f...