Wednesday, October 3, 2018

SBCC Men's Soccer Student-Athlete, Armeyawu Muntari

Armeyawu Muntari from Ghana
My name is Armeyawu Muntari and I began my studies at SBCC in Fall 2017. While I was playing soccer in Sweden, a teammate shared with me the idea of playing soccer at SBCC. I visited SBCC and took a campus tour. I fell in love with the campus and applied. I went back to Ghana, my home country, to begin the visa process once I was admitted to SBCC. Unfortunately, my student visa was denied and I was unable to appeal the decision. I was devasted, but nonetheless I preserved. I sought other means to make my dream of playing soccer in the United States come true. After I was denied my visa, I got a full-ride scholarship from a college in Oklahoma to play soccer. I was granted my F-1 visa immediately. There were a number of obstacles in Oklahoma that prevented me from playing soccer, and so I was determined to apply to SBCC again to play soccer. In Fall 2017, I showed up a week before the season started. I began training with the team immediately since coach John Sisterson already knew about me. I remember cramping in the first game! I had not practiced for almost a year! I can play with both feet so I play left wing and right wing forward. It is my last season with the Vaqueros so I want to enjoy it and have fun. We've played five games and have won all of them. I have scored three goals and assisted five. We practice every day from 12:00pm to 2:00pm. Besides playing soccer, I enjoy my academics at SBCC more than I have at any other school. The support I get here is one of a kind, which comes from counselors, faculty, coaches, and advisors. My coach, John Sisterson, and my advisor, Shelby Arthur, have helped me a lot in transitioning to SBCC. I'm a few classes away from earning my AA degree and will continue to pursue my Bachelor's degree. I love Santa Barbara and soccer has opened a lot of social circles for me. I recommend SBCC to all students and believe all students should be here! Catch me on the field... 

SBCC Men's Soccer team walking onto the field for warm-up before match against Taft.








Spending the holidays abroad!

I used to feel homesick when I’d be traveling for two weeks, now I’ve been away from home for almost a year and I’m spending holidays away f...